Safely Transporting Handguns
Transporting handguns properly involves both legal and safe practices. In addition to federal laws, there are regulations that vary from state to state. Know your state's law and obey it.
Always unload and case firearms before transporting them. In many states, this may be the law.
- The action should be open or the gun broken down, whichever makes the handgun safest if it's mishandled.
- The handgun should be locked in the trunk of your car or in an area of the vehicle that is not immediately accessible to anyone in the vehicle.
- You may not store the gun under a seat or in a door pocket.
- Some states prohibit putting handguns in the glove compartment of a vehicle for any reason.
- Ammunition should be kept separate from the handgun.