Eligibility Requirements and Ownership Restrictions
Your state and local laws may include regulations on what is required to own a gun legally and restrictions that prohibit some persons from owning a handgun. Be sure you know the laws for your area.
To own a gun legally, make sure you know any legal requirements regarding:
- Mandatory education
- Safe handling demonstrations
- Shooting proficiency
States and local areas often have laws stating that some persons are not allowed to own a handgun. These restrictions may include persons who:
- Have committed certain types of crimes, including domestic violence.
- Are convicted felons or charged with committing a felony.
- Have been arrested for drug and/or alcohol abuse.
- Are mentally impaired.
- Are delinquent in paying certain debts such as child support.